Saturday, November 24, 2007

Customer Disservice

I used to work in the retail industry. I have worked for Macys, Banana Republic, Casual Male Big and Tall, Track 'n' Trail, American Eagle Outfitters, and Pier 1 Imports. I never really liked it all that much, except for dealing with all of the people who came into the stores I worked at to buy or browse. There was a cornucopia of people who would come in and most of them were interesting in one way or another. I say most because not all customers were nice. Some were rude, but we had to deal with that and try to make things work out for them and us. They were challenges and I always took them as such in my dealing with them. I always wanted to have them do a 180 degree turnabout in their perception of whatever company I was working for at the time. I wasn't always successful, but I did give it my all.

When I go into a store I expect outstanding customer service and I make no bones about it, after all I am there to spend money. This is the time of the year that I like least with regards to shopping. It is the fake season when retailers go overboard in pretending that they really do care about you. The sad fact is that the majority of retailers expect their underpaid associates to go overboard for a company that they do not believe really cares about them at all. It is true that all associates that agree to work for any retailer should give their all no matter what, just as a point in personal pride in their work. It should be that way but it is not.

I am confronted time and time again with associates that make no false pretense in letting you know that you are burdening them just by being in their store to shop. When I am confronted with such apathy I leave and never shop there again. I have noticed that one retailer, BEST BUY, must have a mandate that all customers are greeted at the door by an employee saying something like, "How ya doin?" Whenever I go there I am with my 16 year old son and we are usually engaged in some deep conversation about who rocks better on Guitar Hero III (btw he does). I hate being interrupted by this unnecessary question always asked in a way that lets me know that the asker does not care in the least how I am doing. You cannot force care and consideration and the public should be smart enough to know when they experience that.

I was there today with all five of my children and was interupted with this query to which I did not answer. He didn't care and I was not going to be bothered by the associates coercion of this question. Then in the 30 minutes that we were there I was accosted by 10 associates, I kid you not. That is 1 every three minutes! Just as I would rebuff one another would come up and ask the same stupid question, "Can I help you?" As an aside the question was improperly phrased. It should be, "May I help you?" Hey I was an English Major give me a break!

I started to answer the associates, "Like I just told the other worker, I am fine!" What I wanted to say was, "Leave me the @#$%^ alone!" I was there just to browse, but man were they desperate to make a sale! I don't think that I will be going back to BEST BUY again during the Christmas season. As a matter of fact, I think that I will do all my shopping online. It is fast, easy and I can do it my skivvies. Can't do that at BEST BUY, and if I did I think that I might get a different question than, "How you doin'?"

Be Good and don't lose focus on what Christmas is really about.
MAC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, you just brought back those horrible memories of "The 10-foot rule" back from Pier 1.

For those not in the know, we had to greet every customer within a 10-foot radius...

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

As an employee, I hated it, because (as MAC so elloquently put it), I hate it oh-so-much as a customer. As a salesperson, I wouldn't advocate ignoring a customer, just not hovering near them and making them feel helpless/watched/treated as a potential thief.

I guess that's why I'm not a salesperson anymore. I don't have the fake smile, the fake warm greeting, or the fake caring attitude that rings hollow... that I know the customer can sense.

Hey, what do you expect from $10/hour?

//k

Here I Stand said...

You got $10 an hour? Man I was underpaid as an assistant manager!

All of these "customer greeting" rules in all retail outlets are implemented by corporate suits who have never worked the floor as an associate and they don't know what they are talking about.

The only retailer who seems to care about its employees is HOBBY LOBBY. They are closed by 8PM every night and not open on Sundays so employees can enjoy family and go worship the Lord.

The owner started out on the floor and worked his way up. NICE!