Monday, February 11, 2008

It's Been Awile

I am experiencing what is known as writer's block. It just seems that I don't have anything really good enough, in my opinion, to blog about. It happens. Thoughts come and go and it seems that most of them, lately, are nothing major, nothing worthy of me tickling the keyboards with my digits.

So, I figured that the only way to combat this vacuum of interesting thought is to blog about it. It is a bit Seinfeldian. The post about nothing. I mean sooner or later in this very post I have to hit on something that is interesting, right? You will continue to read until you come across it, won't you?

In the mean time I will treat this post like my late ex-father-in-law would treat a conversation with his brother-in-law. They would dance around any real attention grabbing talk in the attempt to not be seen as rude. They were both Mainers and if you have ever met anyone from Maine, and I mean the real part of Maine-not the so called Flatlanders near the coast but the rough and tumble Woods Queers(their term not mine)-you would know that they are are a different breed of human being, if they are even that. I once heard them carry on a 40 minute conversation over the McChicken sandwich from MickeyD's when it was first introduced. One thing you can say about Mainers is that they don't talk much and even when they do speak they say even less.

I have made reference to my job here and there in previous blogs. My position has changed and while it is more busy and the nights fly by I am still afforded the ability to do a lot of thinking, internal soliloquizing, and soul searching. One thing that popped into my mind the other night is that I have experienced a lot of blessings in odd numbered years and more woes in even numbered years. It will be interesting if 2008 and holds course. I pray not, and there have been blessings in even numbered years in my life, but for the most part the Evens have been ones that have challenged me the most.

Case in point, I was born in 1965, receiving life is definitely a blessing so that was a good year. Though if you want to get technical I was lounging around in my mom's womb for a good portion of 1964-an even year-while waiting to be born. Even though I was in utero I was alive and kicking, no pun intended. Also, as an aside I have been talking with a co-worker who was a flower child of the 60s and I look at that time with disdain. I have told him as I am telling you that I am the only, and I mean only, good thing to have come out of the 60s.

1972 my father nearly lost his life in a car accident. In a contest between a Dodge Dart and an oak tree, the oak tree will always win. He broke his neck and was almost paralyzed. He was in the hospital for a few months. Miraculously he walked out the hospital on his own and no one would ever know that he came that close to death and paralysis. It was 1973 when he left the hospital by the way.

Fast forward to 1979. Had my first kiss in 79. Thank you Ms. Downes I remember you well.

That same year The Clash's London Calling album was released as was Pink Floyd's The Wall. And for that matter The Floyd also released Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals in 1973, 75, and 77 respectively. Conversely the Go-Gos Vacation was released in 1982. Nuff Said!

1982, I was involved in my own car accident which I have mentioned in my first post. Lost my best friend in that accident. Didn't walk for a year and that year was 1983. Met Melissa in 82 but did not actually start dating her until 83.

Started Boston University in 83. Was invited not to return in 84.

Met my now ex-wife in 1985, and that can been seen as either a blessing or a curse. I will go with blessing...for now.

Graduated college in 1989. Two months later I got married.

1991 our first child was born. 93 saw the arrival of our second with the third joining us in 95.

Graduated seminary in 1997 and was ordained that year.

Good things happened in 1996 and 1998, the New York Yankees won the World Series both years.

Even more joyous in 1998 was the birth of our 4th child and 2002 saw our last child become family, so there were some good things in some even numbered years.

But then 2004 saw my wife leave me and divorce me. I left the ministry. And worst of all the Boston Red Sox broke their 86 year old streak of not winning a World Series by finally winning the Fall contest. You win some you lose some.

In 2006 I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle to work. As a result I lost my job and because of that I was forced to moved out of my apartment.

In 2007 I got an iPod!

2007 was a great year and I made many new friends and revived others that were dormant.

I really hope and pray that 2008 brings with it a lot of pleasant surprises. Yet, whatever it brings I will meet it with optimism and a steely resolve to overcome and thrive.

So there you have it. My post about nothing. Hope you were entertained and enlightened. If not then tough! It didn't cost you a thing to read this you critical snob. Just kidding! Thanks for stopping by and reading.

Be good but not boring!
Mac

2 comments:

PILGrm said...

I had no idea you were a Yankee fan. Would have pegged you for a Red Sock fan for sure...yeah well. I don't have an Ipod yet, but I am completely addictted to Guitar Hero and especially Rock Band (I'm the prima donna lead singer mostly). Been trying to nail Barracuda on Guitar Hero and throughly enjoying it. Get back in touch with me you kookie boy!!

Leslie said...

Here's to 2009...