Saturday, August 4, 2007

Tattoo You

Tattoos, it seems, are quite the fashion statement these days. When I was younger, back in the day, the only people who sported tatts were bad azzed Harley riders, crap-kickers from the military, exotic people in some far distant land, or someone in the freak show at the circus.

Nowadays things are different. The art, and it is indeed an art, of the tattoo is a multi-million dollar a year industry. It is commonplace to see all sorts of people, both men and women, young and old wearing a tattoo. There are all types of designs and places on one's body where people plant their artwork. There are conventions where the artists go and learn about new techniques or new equipment to buy, and there are even a few TV shows that are based in tattoo parlors (parlors? Are they even called parlors anymore?).

I know quite a few people who are inked, more than once and usually in interesting locations on their person. I find the designs pretty interesting and herein lies a problem for me. I was always taught not to stare at people by my parents. I don't know why this was the rule, but it was. "Don't stare at that person it is rude!" I have had that so ingrained in me that when I see someone with an interesting looking tattoo I usually gaze at it only if that person is looking in another direction. I am afraid of being "caught" looking at their tatts, but isn't that what tattooed people want? Don't they want to show off their goods? Someone please clue me into the proper etiquette regarding tattoo viewing!

I have thought about getting marked up, but it is just a passing fancy. I can't see me ever getting one, and it is not because of the pain that it may include, that doesn't stop me. What stops me is that I know that somewhere down the road I will look at it and wonder why I even have it.

I knew a couple of people who had tattoos and regretted it later in life. My late father-in-law (or is it late ex-father-in-law? What is the proper terminology for the late father of your ex-wife? Clue me in people!) well he had a few tattoos. He told me that he wished that he never had them. I never respected him any less because of them, but I knew that he was embarrassed about one in particular. It was nothing tawdry, but what seemed funny in his youth was not something he wanted later in life. Tattoos or not he was a good guy!

Another person I knew, a next door neighbor from back East, had one removed. It had been on her ankle and I noticed the scar and discoloration on summer's day as we were standing and talking about life. I asked her if she had had an accident or something (Smooth? Not so much!) and she blushed as she said that it was a tattoo removal gone bad.

Those two individuals made me think that tattoos are not so much for me, as I am sure to regret it later on in life.

I once bought a Paula Abdul CD back in the late 1980s. At the time she was a hot new commodity on the pop charts and I liked her music (Hey it was a long time ago!). Years later, while going through my CD collection I found it and thought, "What the heck was I thinking?!" I have a feeling that getting a tattoo would be kind of the same for me. No matter what I thought was cool at the time of putting needle to skin that years down the road I would look at my tattoo and think, "What the heck was going through my mind that night?!" At least in the day and age of the iPod I can delete songs that were once cool and years (or is it days?) later are not so cool anymore (I swear that sooner or later A-Ha's Take On Me WILL be deleted-Don't even laugh at me because it is on your iPod as well Gaylord!). As for tattoos, there ain't no delete button for the removal of an unwanted tatt.

I have found that not all tattoos are visible ones. A lot of people have tattoos that are covered by clothes and that is because the person wanted a tatt but did not want the whole world to see it. Perhaps it was just for the eyes of one special person. That got me to thinking about whether or not any of our presidents have had, or have, a tattoo and if so what could it possibly be?

The only president I could see having a tattoo would be Bill Clinton. I have a feeling that he has one on his left cheek, and I don't mean the one on his face either. It would be of a cannabis leaf with words around it that said, "Didn't Inhale My Ass!" That would be funny!

Well if there isn't one now there will be a president with a tattoo one day. Maybe it will be in 2008. Who knows, but it will be interesting.

Back to my decision. Maybe when they can invent a machine that erases tattoos I will start thinking about getting one. Until that day I will go unmarked. Yet, when that day comes, look out! Ah, who am I kidding, I will never get a tattoo, it is just not me. And if you have one, and you catch me staring at you, I am just admiring your artwork, honest! Now look away so I can be rude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a soldier in the United States Army and a college student in Ohio. I am a big fan of tattoo art, and since you asked for commentary on tattoo "taboos" and "ta-do's" I thought I would help you out.

There are two different types of tattoos. Some people get them for meaningful purposes. I, for instance, use them to mark chapters of my life. I use tattoos as an outward display of some significant moments in my life story that changed me. Its not to be "cool," as much as it is to let people see something about me without ever having to talk to me. Hopefully it draws them in and makes them ask questions. Its a really great conversation starter- especially the military tattoos. My roomate and I actually had a class together in college (before we were roomates) and he had an eagle, globe and anchor tatoo (Marine Corps.) Right then I knew that I had something in common with him, so we started hanging out and became pretty good friends.

The second type of person is the impulsive one. These people get tattoos usually to make themselves look tougher or cooler, or because they saw a tattoo on someone else that they liked and wanted something similar. These are usually the people with a lot of tattoos because they get bored with the ones they have. Because the tattoos don't have any significance to them, they don't appeal to them for long. Its like buying a shirt that is in style in 2007, but not in 2009. That shirt usually hangs in a closet forever or gets discarded, and a new one is bought. The same principle applies.

As far as the staring, staring is typically rude no matter what you are staring at, simply because a person cannot see through that stare to see your thoughts. It is automatically assumed that the person staring is not staring in admiration but disgust or some sense of self-righteousness. However, if you couple the stare with a positive comment, most people would be happy to talk to you about their personal art gallery. There is one rule to follow though before you approach. Try to get a read on what kind of tattoos they are before you approach. If you are in a suit and tie and ask someone with skulls and eight balls up their arms they are going to blow you off. Some people have tasteful tattoos, and others do not. Just be wary. Learn some common symbology in the tattoo world and you will be fine. For example "eight balls" usually mean that that person uses/distributes cocaine. Spiderwebs on the elbows or knees are a symbol of white supremacy (although for some reason some younger kids have them now that aren't white supremacists) and stay away from anything that says MS13!

One more thing. It helps if you have one to show off yourself. The tattoo demographic is kind of an exclusive club. I mean its a "your're in" thing or "your're out." If you have one, you are on that person's level, and they will usually be more than happy to show off their work. If you wanna get one, just make sure that it means something significant to you, and you will never regret it! Hope this helps!

Here I Stand said...

Wow! Thank you so much for extremely insightful and in depth comment. I really do appreciate you candor and I really did not know of the two types of tattoos, but now it makes so much sense.

Again, thanks for sharing!