Friday, August 31, 2007

Seventy Times Seven

What does it mean to forgive someone? What is the heart of forgiveness? I am constantly amazed by the whole concept of forgiveness. Yet, when it comes to forgiving most people would rather be on the giving than on the receiving end. To be on the receiving end of forgiveness means that we have done something wrong, something egregious, something sinful. Who wants to be in need of forgiveness? Yet, most of us are in need of just that.

The World doesn't really like to forgive either. The World would rather have revenge. Revenge is the quick and easy answer. It's result can always be seen and is usually instantaneous. It cannot, however, be undone or taken back. It is there for all the World to see and cares not for whether it was administered justly or not. It is indeed a cold dish when served.

The World mocks a forgiver. It sees forgiving as a sign of weakness, as a blight, as something not worth pursuing. Yet, to be a forgiver requires more than just words, it requires actions. It requires strength. Strength to not pursue vengeance, but rather to pursue peace and love, and compassion.

I know of a person who could easily walk that path of vengeance, a path that leads to bitterness and perhaps regret. Instead, this person chooses forgiveness, which bears a fruit that is not always seen but is sweet indeed. Why does this person choose forgiveness? This person chooses it because it is the right thing to do.

In the Gospel of Matthew Jesus is asked about forgiveness by Peter, "21 Then Peter came to Him and said, 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?' 22 Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.' "

Peter thought that he was being generous in his forgiving, doing what the Law demanded and nothing more. Yet, Christ turned that notion on it's head by stating that we should forgive seventy times seven. Seven is the number of perfection in the Hebrew culture of Jesus' day. What He does here is add to that number to the Nth degree. In other words Jesus was saying forgive as many times as it takes, don't stop forgiving, hold nothing against anybody else.

This person, reminded me in their act of forgiving that I have not been so kind. I have held grudges and wanted revenge for things that have been done to me. I re-learned a lesson that I have taught others but have forgotten. I am thankful for this persons wise decision of forgiving others because in their doing that their act of forgiveness has inspired me to let go of the hurts that I have been carrying around lately.

I choose forgiveness, for I know that I am in need of receiving it. May I be so bold as to walk this path as my friend has, is, and continues to tread. Thanks for the lesson!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your welcome .

Unknown said...

Admiting fault is always the hardest first step. Good luck on your journey, Grasshopper.

//k

Here I Stand said...

Up yours you dirty #$%^*^#! And while you're at it kiss my @##$@@(%&*%! Oops! Um, nevermind!

Unknown said...

Hey now...