Friday, February 13, 2009

10 Songs

It looks like it is time for 10 Songs to make an appearance so here goes. I've been grooving to some new music to me and some really old songs that I've seen in a movie or two that have left a lasting imprint in my mind so here are 10 Songs currently in heavy rotation on my iPod:

1. When the Crying is Over-Ian MacLagan and the Bump Band.
Ian is a studio musician who has played on many and album that you've more than likely listened to. His voice is rough in an enchanting way. This song, as all songs from the album which it's on, is a tribute to his late wife. The whole album is a testimony to his love for her and the impact she had on his life. Anyone who has lost a loved will relate to this song, no doubt, but they will find hope in it. It is not maudlin in any way. I love this song.

2. The Wrestler-Bruce Springsteen
When I first heard this song I wept and had goose bumps all over. I thought that The Boss had been following my life for the past few years as it seemed to be written about my journeys of late. But Bruce has a way of striking a chord that resonates in most everybody's lives. It's from the movie THE WRESTLER which I have yet to see but plan on seeing it soon. Anyway, this song has a beauty of it's own which also, to me at least, ends on a high note of hope. We've all been down but the the wrestler in all of us gets back up for another round. I am ready for another round in life too.

3. If I Didn't Care-The Ink Spots
I heard this when I was watching one of THE top 10 movies of all time, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. It's played right at the beginning when Andy Dufresne is contemplating killing his wife. The song is from the 1940s and is lovely. If I could travel back in time I would pay a visit to the 1930s and 1940s just to drink in the culture and entertainment. I love this song.

4. Time Has Told Me-Nick Drake
So you don't know who Nick Drake is? Well shame on you! He is no longer amongst the living and past away back in 1974. Read all about him on the link above. This song is beautiful and really brings out the "doomed romanticism" that has labeled Drake's music from the beginning. It was reported after Heath Ledger's untimely passing that he was in the process of working on a biopic about Drake. Sadly they both died in the same fashion and far too early.

5. Running to Stand Still-U2
From, arguably, their best album ever, The Joshua Tree. This song has haunting lyrics and the twangy guitar in it evokes a mood of hope in the face of despair, even if that hope is slight it still is there. Any song on this album could be picked as their best ever, it just so happens that this song is currently being listened to by me on my iPod. Give it a try.

6. I've Got a Feeling-The Beatles
What a great rocking song by The Fab Four! The more they matured together as a band the deeper the sound of their songs became. Their talents really shone as they grew more comfortable in them and the singing by both Paul and John is top notch. It is infectious and makes me want to belt it out with all that I've got!

7. Dixie Chicken (Live)-Little Feat
I may have had this song on one of my lists before and having it here again just shows how fantastic a song this is. I love the live version (off of their Waiting for Columbus album) because most live versions of song have a little extra umph to them, as if those songs went all the way up to 11!

8. Cornman-Kinky
OK, so this is an interesting mix of salsa and pop. It gets under your skin and really is something that you will be humming all day. And where did I find this gem? Well I bought my oldest boy the video game Little Big Planet which is an incredible game with a killer soundtrack. This song is from that game. He asked me if it was on iTunes and Lo and Behold it was. Give it a listen and you will probably end up buying it. It's a great workout song too.

9. World in My Eyes (Cicada Mix)-Depeche Mode
Who doesn't love the Mode? A friend suggested this song recently and I found a few different versions on iTunes. This one has a driving beat and reminded me of my club days of the mid 1980s where I would mousse my hair up, slip on my bowling shoes for dancing and go wild! Oh, yeah! Bring the 80s back!

10. Fly by Night-Rush
Very few things have come out of Canada that are really worthwhile. In fact Canada is really the 51st state of the US, or America Light if you prefer. However, Rush is one of the few exceptions. To me, this group never really got its due but man how they could rock. Fly by Night is just one of many gems offered up by this group. Rock on my Canadian neighbors, rock on!

All songs, except for The Beatles offering, can be found at iTunes. Just click on its name and you will be magically transported there. Have fun!

No comments: