Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Perimeter Guy

I am a watcher of people. It is one of my favorite pastimes. I love it because I find people fascinating in so many different ways. I used to love to go to the airports, when picking up a family member or friend, and sit at the gates and just listen to the conversations of the travelers and see the goings on there. Of course you can't get that close anymore unless you are traveling due to the changes brought about after 9/11. I think the thing that fascinates me is that I have a way of doing things, as we all do, and when I see someone go about something I would do but in a different manner it makes me wonder why. I think to myself, "What is going on inside that person's mind?"

There is a guy at work, whom I will refer to as The Perimeter Guy (TPG), who fascinates the bejeepers out of me. He is methodical in all that he does as if it is done by a set plan. I would not call him anal retentive, but rather I would call him dedicated to his game plan-from which he does not deviate.

Let me continue by saying I like the guy a lot. He is a decent man and once you get to know him a little bit you realize that he has a whole hosts of stories to tell that are rich and full of life. I like the fact that our worlds come together for 48 hours every other 4 days as his role in my world has served to enrich it, however minor it is. I dig people like him because I have always been drawn to those on the edges who are full of life in their own way.

TPG never misses work, yet always and I do mean always turns down overtime. I asked him why and he says that he likes his time off with his family and I respect that greatly. He is at work a half an hour before it starts and sits in his mini-van and reads. At a quarter to the hour he gets out of his vehicle (or if you from the South it is veHICle) and walks along the walls of the building towards the front door. He could walk directly to the front door in straight line, but he literally hugs the walls to the door. He walks along one until it dead ends into another and then turns right and hugs it until he gets to the door. Very interesting, to me at least.

At work we are allowed 5 breaks throughout the night, each about 30 minutes long. Kind of nice since they are paid breaks. Everyone takes break in one of two break rooms or, when the weather is nice, outside under a gazebo-unless you are a smoker then you are out there no matter the whether sucking down your nicotine while getting drenched or freezing your keister off.

TPG never takes a break other than to go to a break room and take three drinks from three different beverages found in his lunch bag. Then he grabs a handful of trail mix, downs that and heads back to work. He does all of this while standing, mind you. He leaves the break room with a twirl-literally-as he walks through the door and then heads downstairs to the plant floor. However, he doesn't walk straight back to his area of responsibility. He walks along the path for the forklifts which has him walking 10 yards then a hard left and then 15 yards more. Fascinating.

Most people notice his idiosyncrasies but have never asked him about it. Well I did one day, mainly the question was about what he drinks and why the variety. He told me that they are filled with vitamins and the concoctions are made but him at home. He says he doesn't want to sit as he may tire out and he likes to keep moving. And move he does!

He is a blur around his machine at the end of the night with all of his sweeping and cleaning. And man is it clean. I have even seen him on his hands and knees picking up tiny pieces of aluminum so as to have the place spotless for the next shift. The guy cares about what he does and leaving a small footprint behind him.

And that is why he is really on the Perimeter. It is because there are not many like him who do there job so methodically. I don't know whether or not his numbers are better than other mechanics but he is interesting to watch.

He is also on the Perimeter because he is so different from other people at work. If you are going to talk with him you have to make the first move. He doesn't say much and most of what he says is work related. There are those at work who are offended by that because they feel that he is acting like he is better than them. I believe that it is just their insecurities about themselves that make them feel that way. I am not offended by his actions or inactions. If he wants to be quiet and focus only on work then it is fine with me. I will give him his space and continue to be fascinated. And I will be thankful that he is there, making my night a little more interesting.

Just an observation of a man who is a small part of my world. And in that way I guess I am on the perimeter looking in at somebody's life. Fascinating!

Be Good, But Not Boring!
Mac

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds a little less "Anal-retentive" and little more "Obsessive-compuslive disorder".

Nevertheless, an interesting look at an interesting guy.

//k