Friday, December 14, 2007

10 Songs Christmas Style!

Since we are in the Christmas season (liturgically still Advent season but I will not nitpick-but I just did) I thought that I would share some tunes in my Christmas 2007 playlist on my iPod. Some are old school Christmas tunes and some are newer with a rockin' beat, and some are just fun. Here goes:

1. Dominick the Donkey-Lou Monte
I came across this song only a few years ago and found it charming in a weird-wish-I-were-Italian-way and it really is infectious after hearing it a few times. It is a big hit with kids, Italian or not.

2. Father Christmas-The Kinks
This is a classic and it rocks in a yuletide way. Get it now or your Christmas will be lacking!

3. The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth-Bing Crosby and David Bowie
An unlikely pairing of musicians from different eras and genres yet it works so darn well. Short but sweet song!

4. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus-John Cougar Mellencamp
I loved this song as a kid and I especially love the way the The Coug makes it rock. A great job on a classic.

5. I Saw Three Ships-Sting
Another new interpretation on a Christmas classic. Go ahead take a listen and you will know the wisdom of mine words!

6. Good Christian Men, Rejoice!-Robert Shaw Chorale
To me this is THE best Christmas song that not many people even know about. We sang it in church every year. It sums up the whole point of Christmas and it is that Christ was born to save humanity from Sin, Death, and the Devil. REJOICE INDEED!

7. Away in a Manger-George Strait
I sang this song as a kid in Kids Choir and I still love it to this day. I wish it were more popular but it seems that the really popular Christmas songs are not about Jesus Christ at all, and that is a shame. This is just a great song about the Baby Jesus and that should make Ricky Bobby happy.

8. Go Tell it on the Mountain-Toby Keith
What a beautiful song. Similiar in theme to Good Christian Men, Rejoice! However, it is still very poignant and touching. Have a listen and tell me if you are not moved by this song. And if you are not then you have a heart that is 3 sizes too small.

9. Hallelujah Chorus(from Handel's Messiah)-Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
There is no song about our Lord's birth that has more majesty and awe in it. I cannot hear this song without getting goosebumps at the very thought that God sent His Son to die for my sins so that I would be able to have eternal life. It is a love that I am not worthy of, but am thankful for it nonetheless.

10. My Little Drum-Vince Guaraldi Trio
What is Christmas without something from Good 'Ol Charlie Brown? Exactly!

May God Bless you richly this Christmas, and may the Light of Christ shine in your life!

Merry Christmas!
Mac

1 comment:

PILGrm said...

Good choices, but I would have gone with Joan Jett's version of Little Drummer Boy. Have an awsome Christmas!